Thursday, June 7, 2012

Knit the first row.

Hooray for you.  You knit the cast on row.  Now you are ready to knit the first row.

You have a row of 20 stitches on the left needle.  Take your empty needle in your right hand and begin to knit.  Just like you did the cast on row.

In through the front - left to right.  Make your knitting needle shape like a "T"
Once around the back - wrap the yarn around the back of the "T" and set it down between the two needles.
Peak through the window - tuck the needle out of the stitch right to left and see the yarn you just wrapped pull up on the needle
Out jumps jack - You knit a stitch.

The new stitch will be on your right needle.  Try to keep your needles close together If you pull them apart you will get loopy stitches.  The first few rows are the trickiest.  Once you have about three rows knit up you will discover it gets a little easier to keep things even.

At first it is a little awkward.  Sometimes the stitches can slip off the needle.  I will tell you about what to do if the stitch slips off the needle in a little bit.  With practice you will get the hang of it and things will begin to  move along.

When you get to the end of the row you will notice all of your new stitches will be on your right needle. Switch hands and place the needle that has all the stitches into your left hand and the empty needle in your right.  You are ready to make row two.

I think you are beginning to get it.

Remember that in the beginning of knitting everyone makes mistakes.  Actually, I have been knitting for about forty years and I still make mistakes.  I figure it is a part of life.  No one is perfect.  Everyone makes mistakes.  What happens in knitting, just like in life, you try to learn from your mistakes.

Sometimes I think about little babies when they are first learning to walk.  They stand up and BOOM! they fall down.  Over and over again they try to stand up and then all of a sudden one day the little child is walking.  You will notice throughout your whole life that you will BOOM fall down.  Make a mistake.  And wonder.  "How did I get here?  I was just standing and now I am on the ground."  Just like a little child learn to walk just dust yourself off and up you get.

I think it is called daring to be a beginner.  Sometimes you might wish you were the best at doing something.  If only we all could be perfect at everything that we thought we wanted to do.   I wish I could play the piano or any musical instrument for that matter.  If I really wanted to learn how to play an instrument, I probably could but it is impossible for me to be able to play unless I practice, practice, practice.  What I am saying is be patient with yourself.  Enjoy the journey.  And you will learn to knit as we go along step by step.

No comments:

Post a Comment